Monday, September 23, 2013

Healthy and Versitile Spaghetti Squash


For several years now, I have avoided pasta and white potatoes.  I used to love them until I realized how high they are not only in carbs, but on the glycemic index.

I have found a number of substitutes that are nutritious and delicious.  One of these is spaghetti squash which easily takes the place of strand-like pasta such as fettuccine. I use it with sauces and pesto usually with a protein like hamburger or chicken.

But lets not stop there.  One of my favorite dishes is potato pancakes or latkes with shredded potatoes, onions, egg and a teensy bit of flour. My dad used to make these and handed down the recipe to me. I rarely make them these days because potatoes can spike blood sugar levels as much as sugar.  However, I have found a great substitute.

The other day I had roasted a spaghetti squash to use with a meat sauce in place of pasta.  It was great, but I had half a squash left over.  I scraped out the insides (which comes out in shreds like spaghetti) and it also resembles shredded potatoes.  So, I thought, why not make spaghetti squash pancakes.  I did and they were delicious. So good--a comfort food and good for you as well.

Spaghetti Squash Pancakes

(Gluten free)

2 cups squash, shredded
1 med onion, minced and slightly sauteed
2 eggs
1 T coconut flour (or almond flour)
Salt and Pepper to taste

1.  Cut squash and scoop out seeds. Bake at 400 degrees for about an hour or until a fork easily pierces it.  Don't cook it too long or it will be mushy.  And remember it will cook more when you fry the pancake.  Scrape out the strands and use about 2 cups for your pancakes.
2.  Cut up and saute the onions until they are translucent.  I used a yellow onion, but a white or sweet onion would work also.  Use this same pan for frying your pancakes.
3.  Beat eggs slightly and mix into the squash and onion and coconut flour. Salt and pepper as desired.
4. Heat pan to medium and pour a little coconut oil or clarified butter into the fry pan you used for the onions.  Drop spoonfuls of the squash mixture into the hot oil. (I don't use a lot of oil--just a tsp should do it.  Depending on the size of the pan, you should be able to fry two to three pancakes.  Let them set well--about 2-3 minutes, then flip and brown the other side.

5. Serve hot with butter.  They are melt in your mouth delicious.

1 comment: