Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Me Oh My Oh Mayo



I never imagined that I would be making my own mayonnaise.  Not that I didn't know I could. I just figured why make my own when I can buy it ready made. Then came my quest to eat real food.  Clean food that is as close to what God created as I can get.

Today I read the labels on food products we use regularly and am aghast at how far from real it has become.  I found a recipe for mayo in Well Fed, a great book on eating real food by Melissa Joulwan that turns out perfectly every time.  This mayonnaise is so good I actually lick the spatula when I've scraped as much out of the bowl as possible.  

These days I refuse to buy any of the so-called mayo products on the store shelves. My devotion to making my own mayo is two-fold.  I know what I'm getting and it is so-so good.  I use it to make all kinds of dressings for salads and sauces for meats and fish.  I have since found a lot of mayo recipes, but still go back to this one. It is simple, basic and flexible.   I've added a bit to the instructions as a lot of people are concerned about using raw eggs.  I was and after seeing that I could actually pasteurize my own eggs and that salmonella is rare.  I make certain that my eggs are clean.  

Making mayo is easy and how little time it takes--about ten minutes max.  The secret to making great may is to use room temperature eggs and pour the oil in very slowly.  

Homemade Mayo
Ingredients:
1 egg  room temperature
2 tablespoons lemon juice  room temp 
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup plus 1 cup light olive room temp (May substitute Macadamia Nut Oil or other nut oil.)

Directions:
1. Wash the egg to get rid of any bacteria. I often slip the egg into boiling water for about 60 seconds to pasteurize it. All of your ingredients should be room temperature. 
2. Place the egg and lemon juice in a blender or food processor with the dry mustard, salt, and  1/4 cup of the oil. Blend until mixed well.
3. With the food processor or blender running pour the remaining 1 cup of oil into the top opening.  I cover part of it with my hand to keep the mixture from splashing out.  Pour the oil in very slowly--drizzle it in over  2-3 minutes.  Slow and easy.    
4. The mayo will do well in the refrigerator for about a week. I tend to go by the expiration date on the eggs, but it never lasts longer than a week so I don't worry.  

I use this mayo with tuna and chicken and ham to make a salad. I also use it with some mustard to make deviled eggs.  I made t his fantastic dressing using my mayo, a little mustard and a teensy bit of honey, Mix it with balsamic vinegar for a great tasting dressing.  It works as a salad dressing with nothing added. 

I will add a disclaimer in that I can't promise you'll never  get salmonella from your home made mayo, but  I do what I can to make certain my eggs are clean and from healthy hens--organic, cage free.  And clean.  

No comments:

Post a Comment